If there is one thing that gives me security in life… it’s routine. I love when things have a way of being.
However, that’s just not how life works. Things in life will change from time to time. Change may happen a lot more for some people than for others, but in the end, nothing stays the same in life.
You may experience the loss of a family member, a change in your relationship/relationship status, a new job, or maybe you’re moving to a new town. Whatever is may be, change doesn’t always settle with with everyone. Some people enjoy the constant changes that life throws at them. But if you’re anything like me, that’s not the case.
So how do I deal with changes? Here are some of my secret weapons.
- Prayer: I don’t know where I would be without prayer and my faith in my life. Trusting that God has a handle on everything gives me a deep feeling of peace and comfort. Things are not always going to be handled smoothly, but understanding that God will push everything into place keeps me going. I always remember Jeremiah 29:11- “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
- Loved ones: Surrounding yourself with good people is one of the best things that you can do for yourself– don’t be afraid to lean on them when you need help! I know it sounds corny, but it’s true that real friends and family will be there for you and will push you and encourage you through everything. Do not be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Trust me, it helps.
- Set goals: When things are happening in your life, take some time to create goals for yourself. If you are moving, make it your mission to become comfortable in your new area, or get certain projects done in your house. Staying focused and accomplishing goals will help you to feel empowered and at ease.
- Relax: As much as goals are important, setting aside time to breathe and reflect is just as important. Read a book, write in your journal, watch a movie, whatever helps you stay centered. Change can do a load to someone mentally, and we are only human! It is important to take care of ourselves. In fact, it is necessary.
- Be kind to yourself: If you are feeling overwhelmed, know that it’s okay to be. Don’t worry about perfection, because chances are, there are going to be bumps and potholes on your journey. Take things with a grain of salt. Know that months from now, many things won’t matter. Sure it’s frustrating when you’re not making new friends as quickly as you had hoped. And that’s okay. Just take it one day at a time and know that things will get better. Remember to ask yourself if it’s really worth getting worked up over.
What are your tips for dealing with change? Let me know below!